What You’ll Need:
- A glass jar with lid
- 4 cups white sugar
- Mixing bowl
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- 1+ cup olive oil
- 20-30 drops peppermint essential oil
- Measure and pour the sugar into a mixing bowl. Give things a stir to break up any clumps. The sugar works as a gentle exfoliant that leaves your feet and hands wonderfully smooth.
- Now add the olive oil to the sugar, and stir. You want the mixture to resemble wet sand that isn’t too saturated with the oil. Olive oil offers the best results, with wonderfully skin-soothing qualities, but sunflower or almond oil are good options too. If one cup of oil doesn’t seem to be enough, then add another quarter cup.
- To finish the mixture, add the peppermint oil, which accentuates the peppermint scent of the scrub. And peppermint is a natural anti-inflammatory, which soothes sore muscles.
- Place a handful of candy canes in a ziplock plastic bag, and crush with the help of a rolling pin. You can also pulverise the candies in a clean coffee grinder or blender. You want the candies to become superfine, similar in size to the white sugar.
- To create the pretty scrub, place a big spoonful of the sugar-and-oil mixture at the base of the glass container, and then sprinkle with a layer of the crushed candy canes. Continue layering until you reach the top of the container. Add a cute ribbon and a few candy canes, and your peppermint scrub is ready for gifting!
— Additional reporting by Jaime Richards